Endorsements V-picks Souldier Celestion D'Addario Lessons

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
working on twister by myself
  • man, what a project. I just recently realized that there's a lesson for it, lol. anybody else gotten through it?
  • Twister was one of my first lessons by mail about a year ago and I was not disappointed. This one gets an A+. The lesson breaks the song down one line at a time and Jim paces the lesson perfectly. He slows down during difficult parts and tricky passages. From the lead riff, to the solo, to the outro this is a 100% accurate note for note transcription. As an aside, this is by far my favorite song to play. I was able to memorize the song relatively quickly. Then, the fun begins! This is a great song to try at various tempos. Obviously, it sounds great really fast. But it also holds up if you slow it down. And, if you are looking for some framework for creating your own “Reed/Campilongo” riffs, look no further. Let me know if you pick up the lesson! I would like to hear your results with this one.
  • Hey Dijos, just curious if you picked up the Twister lesson and if so, how is it going for you?!?
  • It's gonna be my next, I do believe.
  • Started on this two weeks ago. I really had to take it slow and am not up to speed yet. Hybrid picking is new to me. Any thoughts on how to get the right feel for those single note sections between the double stops? Sounds almost chicken-picked, muted even. Cheers.
  • This is very difficult to articulate but the sound you are hearing is a "clicking" of the pick that is striking a muted string below the obvious "primary" notes. My feeling is you'll achieve this effect organically by repetitive practicing.
    In other words, play what is written and it will come naturally.
    Hope this helps... other opinions?
  • I think you nailed it Jim :) Technically, I guess it's like muted eighth notes in between the articulated quarters? And it will absolutely come with practice. I don't do it in all the same spots as Jim does, and none of it was intentional. It just started happening. But it sounds natural and you will get that effect with the right hand. All about the right hand, this guitar thang, eh? ;)

Droo
  • Hi Tboneberry, I think I know what you are talking about and a lot of it has to do with "letting the song happen." Both Jim and Droo hit the nail on the head when they say that it comes from repetition. Although I was able to learn the notes of the song within a few weeks of picking up the lesson, it took several more months to start to get the "feel" down. My approach was to practice different chunks of the song over and over and over and to initially really focus on the fretting (left) hand. Once I was able to play each section of the song, I started to tie the chunks together. Once I could make it through the whole song competently, I started to spend more time playing with picking (right) hand technique. This wasn't too difficult because I had already committed all of the left hand to memory. I practiced at different tempos and worked in some palm muting at parts where it felt natural. I still can't play exactly like the album, but still have a blast playing a similar version. Keep going for it Tboneberry and it will come! Best of luck and happy playing!
  • I recently bought this lesson and was wondering about the muted notes as well. Thanks for the insight guys!
  • Many thanks for the help - I love this forum!
  • So how is it going Tboneberry and timferris? Any progress on twister?
  • CJG,
    I'm having fun with this for sure. The last bit of the solo with the behind the nut bend is giving me a bit of trouble, as is the "dead thumb" lick. I know I'll get it eventually! Are you guys using a metronome? If so, do you make the clicks land on all of the quarter notes? Not sure of the best way when practicing this genre of music.
  • I've been practicing this at low volume since purchasing the lesson. To my disappointment it sounds rather noisy and unclean when played much louder (gain is like a friend who always tells you the truth!). Hence it's back to the beginning. Sigh!
  • tboneberry-
    I've had a similar problem when I practice at low volume. In my case, I found that when when I practice at low volume I tend to pick too hard. Consequently, there is more noise. I try to practice at a slightly higher volume and use a relaxed, light touch. It seems like Jim has a pretty light touch too.
  • I've been working on this lesson the last couple of days, and have to say there's a lot of joy to be had as you watch and hear yourself improve. It seemed like an impossible up hill battle at first, but the payoff is worth it. Great lesson, and so much fun to play!
  • Wonderful ... yeah, it's doable!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!